Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Walking with the Sacred...

Anouk, my dog, had what I call an opinionated day.  She knew what she wanted and where she wanted to walk and would not have anything to do with my decisions.

I had to trick her by exciting her to see someone walking toward us to get her to go the direction I wanted to go.  It would work for a bit.  Then she would realize she was tricked, stop dead in her tracks, turn around or sit down and not budge!

It did not matter how much I tried to convince her that MY way was the best.  She would not budge.

So, I finally gave up.   I surrendered to my dog — the one thing dog owners are told not to do by trainers.  And the funniest thing happened.  We were walking back toward Anouk’s place when she turned down another path.  Then we walked on for a good 20 minutes having a pleasant and fun walk.

It got me thinking.  How do I walk with God?

Do I try to stubbornly force God to walk in my direction?  As I imagined God as Anouk, I could hear Spirit talking to me, “Sure, Jocelyn, knock yourself out walking down that path.  It’s not the right one, but go ahead.  Sooner or later you will realize you are going the wrong direction or you got sidetracked.”

Here I was stubbornly trying to lead my dog the way I wanted to walk.  When I surrendered, everything changed.  When I surrender to Spirit and allow Spirit to guide my steps, lead me down my life’s path, things seem to manifest right in front of me.  Life grows.  I laugh and enjoy myself.  I feel content.  I am happy.


How do you walk with the Sacred?

No comments:

Post a Comment