Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Practice Brings Confidence

I paint at BrushHeart Studios  (http://www.brushheart.com/) in Berwyn, PA.  My teacher put out a challenge she is calling the 40 Day Creativity Experiment (http://www.brushheart.com/node/85).  Here is how she describes it:
 Being creative is your birthright. What would you feel like if you allowed your creative voice to be present in your life?.
Feel more ALIVE by Expressing your creativity daily.
Reduce stress expressive your creativity
One mark, One image, One word a day- will allow you to feel more alive.  What is the 40 day Creative Experiment?
Expressing your creativity daily is just as vital as breathing and eating. When we express our creativity; our heart becomes more joyous, a smile arrises, and stress disappears.
Join me and others as we try an experiment. for 40 days in a row.
Guidelines
Choice the medium you will work in, remember this will be for 40 days so it might be something you need to travel with.  You need to add to your ONE creative piece everyday. Don't remove anything or cover anything up because you don't like it, but you can end up layering over what you did the day before. This is about the creative PROCESS not the end result.”
I decided to take the plunge, to work on one piece for 40 days.  This freaked me out.  I have not done that before.  That is a huge commitment.  One piece for 40 days.  What if I run out of ideas?  What if I get stuck?  What if I get too attached and don’t want to change something?  Can I really commit to one piece for 40 days?
I decided I needed to practice, to see how it would feel to work on one piece for more than a few hours.  I also wanted to make sure the medium I was contemplating will work -- My Brushes on my iPad.  I need to be mobile, especially in August.  I will be commuting between Philadelphia and NJ plus I’ll be doing some continuing education and more.  So I must be flexible in my medium.
I have been about one week working on the same piece.  It has been an interesting experience playing with the same piece.  A few things have happened:


Day One
  • I have been forced into an awareness of my attachments, as I attempted to add one stroke to the painting each day without messing up something I love.  In this painting, it is the rose-like circle that I created into a flower.  It has been there since the first day.  I am very attached to it.  I know at some point in the next week or so, I am going to have the “ruin” it to move deeper into whatever I am being invited into in this work.  
    Day One




  • I have learned that it takes courage to ruin your work, courage to go deeper, courage to follow the flow of the brush, paint, finger touching the screen, etc.  It takes courage to face the depth of my Soul and listen to what it has to teach me.  In this case, what my Soul needs to teach me about healing the wounds to my heart, power, voice so that I can blossom fully into Future Me.
Day Two

  • I have been confronted twice by a new theme that popped up in my last painting -- the Eye.  Each time, it freaks me out.  It is like something is staring deep into my Soul and I have no walls to hide from it.  I know it is an invitation from the Holy to go deeper, to open myself more to my Shadow self; to allow deeper conversation between my Shadow and Light selves.  I know that.
Day Three



  • I have learned that this 40 day creative challenge is not going to let me ignore those invitations.  The first time that Eye showed up, I ignored it.  I covered it up.  Yes, I will admit that.  I did not want to go there. Instead of going there, paying attention to the Eye, I followed the rose and created a blossoming of my heart expanding out further and further into the Universe.  And I stayed there, playing with that concept for a few days, ignoring the Eye.  
Day Four

  • Notice though, the Eye does not really get completely covered up.  This intrigues me.  No matter how hard I tried to cover it up, it just continued to peak through...
Day Five








And then another Eye appeared.  This time it formed without my help, without my attention...unconsciously.  If you look maybe you can see the shape of the Eye appearing between the stem and pink heart.  It is there.  
One morning, I could not ignore that Eye anymore.  To “go there” I had to ruin my painting.  So, I put green and purple fireworks exploding from the rose and hearts.  This loosened me up.  Relaxed me.  Changed the painting enough that I was not as attached.  I could then put that Eye right were it appeared.  I just followed the outline, created the pupil, added the spiral.  Then I freaked out.  Yes, I freaked out.  I kept opening up My Brushes, looking at it, closing it, and walking away.  
Day Six

  • I was unsettled.  That is okay.  I am learning that is part of this process.  The painting is going to unsettle me because it is inviting me to go deep, deep into my Shadow self, deep into my wounds and face parts of me I would rather ignore.  That is the Holy work of healing.  
Day Seven






  • The healing comes with the next stroke... For me that was the realization that the Eye needed to cry tears.  So I turned my iPad and created tears.  What struck me was that the tears were not just blue.  They were also yellow, green, orange.  The wounds of my voice, heart, power and sexuality needed cleansing, releasing, healing.  As I put those tears there something did indeed shift, something released, let go, opened up.  This is why I continue painting, continue creating.
Day Eight
  • Painting opens me to other creative expressions.  The healing began here in My Brushes, but it continued through different medium as I continued to add one stroke each day.
For me, it has recently turned to poetry.  This is shocking because I have not written poetry before in my life.  But painting has opened my creative self to expressing myself, to working through and processing what is happening inside myself through poetic expression.  It started when I needed to write a sermon the day after ending a 10 year relationship.  I had no words except poetry.  That is what my congregation got.  Spoken word.
It has continued.  My previous blog is the different poems that have come from processing my SoulCards.
Last night, this came.  This Haiku.  It came in the middle of the night enlightening me to what is happening with my Eye.
Tears Fall Westwardly
Cleansing healing woundedness
Heart rooting growing
Tears Fall Westwardly
Twinkle ignites in my Eye
Heart Blossoms Open
I am excited to see what happens when I engage the same work for 40 days.  This past 8 days of work has cracked me open in powerful ways.
This practice has given me the confidence to look forward to what the Holy will do in 40 days in my creative wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment